Sunday 20 April 2008

Muffin recipe

Sorry it's been so long since I posted - I was in a job where I was commuting 4 hours a day which didn't leave much time to go out for food...! I also just got a puppy so for the last few weeks have been hanging out with him so not been out to eat much at all...

However, to make up for it, I thought I'd post this recipe for banana muffins which I adapted from a couple of others - I think they're delicious and a really great texture, but let me know what you think!


Gluten-free Banana Muffins (makes 6)


3oz Rice flour
1oz Ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon Gluten-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
Pinch of salt
EITHER 2.5oz of caster sugar or 2oz Fructose
30g Butter
1 egg
100ml buttermilk
2 small bananas

First - turn on the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Then melt the butter in a saucepan and leave to cool.
Then put all the dry ingredients into a bowl - so the rice flour/ground almonds/sugar/salt/bicarb. of soda/xanthan gum/g-f baking powder/salt.
Whizz up the two bananas - I use one of those handheld blender things - about £20 and one of the most useful kitchen tools I think...
Beat the egg in a jug or similar, add the buttermilk and the butter to it and mix.
Make a hole in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir a bit then add the liquefied banana and mix properly.
You will end up with quite a sticky batter but shouldn't be dry.
Divide between six muffin cases in a muffin tray and put in oven for about 25 mins.
Stick a knife in after this time (or maybe at around 22/23 mins) and if it comes out clean, they're done. I always worry that they feel soggy so put them back in but they will harden as they cool so don't over do them!
Transfer muffins to a rack to cool.

Honestly - this recipe is so easy and I think they're really good. I'm not a big fan of really sugary things so I prefer to use fructose (natural fruit sugar) - you always need less than with normal sugar... However, if you prefer things really sweet then just experiment with what you like. The banana adds a lot of sweetness anyway...

I've also tried blueberry and vanilla ones - add a teaspoon of vanilla essence and instead of mushed up bananas put in a load of blueberries - however, the mixture may need some extra liquid if you do this - I find the liquefied banana really helps the texture.

Let me know what you think!

No comments: