Tuesday 13 May 2008

GF sausages

I’ve tried quite a few gluten-free sausages in my time, so I thought it might be useful if I posted about where I’ve got good ones from…

The Ginger Pig is a GREAT butcher which has a good selection of (marked) gluten-free sausages. They do a really interesting range, including things like Jamaican Jerk and Lamb Merguez as well as more traditional ones, like Pork and Apple.

I know their Traditional ones aren’t gluten-free, and there are a few others that aren’t, but the butchers are always really helpful and know exactly what’s in their meat so will always help you out – plus there’s a big blackboard with which ones are GF… they don’t always have all of the different ones in, but there’s usually a good choice.

We’ve been going to the one in Marylebone for ages, but there’s a good one in Borough Market too. There’s also one in Hackney but haven’t been to that one.

Also in Marylebone is The Natural Kitchen. They do good chicken sausages that are gluten-free. I don’t like the texture so much if I eat them as sausages, but they’re really good for chopping up and using in rice/pasta dishes etc if you don’t feel like pork. They do two different ones – chicken, coriander and something and a mustard-y one.

Quite a few of Marks and Spencer’s sausages are gluten-free too – and not just the more expensive ones…! Some of their cheaper ones are too as, hooray, they use rice starch instead of wheat and rusk to bulk out the ones with less meat content…

Not all of them are though, so make sure you read the label carefully… they have a good labelling system though which clearly points out if things contain wheat/gluten etc.

Waitrose also have some gluten-free ones – they are actually called ‘gluten-free’ as part of the name – their others have wheat.

Seeing as how BBQ season is upon us, I hope this is useful!

10 comments:

Golet said...

Thanks for the good work of gathering various gluten-free possibilities in London. I was planning to visit London this month and when my doctor told me, that I probably developed a gluten intolerance, I thought this was the end of all travelling. However, with your tips, I think, the trip will be pleasant and definitely much easier than if I had to find the places to eat by myself.

Nutritious and Delicious said...

Glad I could help! Hope you have a great trip,

Lizzie

Glitter said...

Your tips have been really helpfull! Thanks a lot! I'm travelling from Finland to London this summer and now I know where to eat! One thing I would like to know, is there any chance of finding gluten-free fish and chips anywhere? What about g-f afternoon tea? By the way, when you were talking about sausages, almost every sausage you can find in Finland are g-f... Finnish people eat a lot of sausages, we have them in every flavour you can think of! Chili, garlic, blue cheese, cheese, paprika, tomato... :-)

Glitter said...

Your tips have been very helpfull!! Thanks a lot! I'm travelling from Finland to London this summer, and now I know where to eat! There is just one thing I would like to know, is it possible to get g-f fish and chips anywhere? What about g-f afternoon tea? By the way, when you were talking about sausages, in Finland most of the sausages are g-f! Finnish people eat lots of sausages and we have them in all the flavours you can think of! Cheece, chili, tomato, paprika, garlic, blue cheese... and original!

Nutritious and Delicious said...

Hi,

Thanks for your post... am afraid I don't know of anywhere that does gluten-free fish and chips, but The Ritz does a gluten-free afternoon tea... it's about £30 and you obviously need to say when you book that you need a gluten-free one - but I think you have to reserve about 6 weeks in advance as tea there is very booked up!
Let me know if you go... I'm going to try it out myself soon so will post afterwards...

Lizzie

Glitter said...

We are coming there in two weeks so there is no time to book the Ritz afternoon tea. But thats ok, it sounds a bit expensive! Anyways I have gathered enough information about where to eat so I think our trip will be succesfull!

Unknown said...

Hi
Just reading your site as planning a trip london soon and was reading up on Hell Pizza - although read your reveiw on Cotto and it sounds pretty good too - and it was for a sat meal out in the evening - so Cotto looks better than Hell Pizza.
Anyway I am off the subject - have you tried Sallys Sizzling Sausages from Smithfield Market - they are the best ever - I have them delivered as I live in the Midlands - but I believe you can also collect. They are lovely!
I'll continue reading now!
Ange

Unknown said...

Hi
Just reading your site as planning a trip london soon and was reading up on Hell Pizza - although read your reveiw on Cotto and it sounds pretty good too - and it was for a sat meal out in the evening - so Cotto looks better than Hell Pizza.
Anyway I am off the subject - have you tried Sallys Sizzling Sausages from Smithfield Market - they are the best ever - I have them delivered as I live in the Midlands - but I believe you can also collect. They are lovely!
I'll continue reading now!
Ange

Nutritious and Delicious said...

Hi Ange,

I would say that the pizza in Hell Pizza is better, but that the atmosphere in Cotto is much nicer for a Saturday night meal out - and so far all reviews of the pasta are very positive so I'd agree and say go for that! Thanks for posting!

Lizzie

Melissa said...

hi great site - thanks for all the tips. Sausages would recommend both The Black Farmer (all gluten free) and Debbie and Andrew's 97% Sausages.